Project Portfolio Management
PPM is managing programs, projects, and operations as a strategic portfolio in order to ensure alignment with university strategies and objectives.
Why is time collection via Planview important for PPM?
Data collected from the Planview timesheets and project plans is used by Washington University IT Management to improve service delivery by allocating resources to support strategic goals. PPM supports IT Strategic Governance through planning and measuring results—a key IT organizational capability.
Training & Resources
WUIT – Planview Time Entry – Self-paced eLearning
Project: Creating a unique product, service or feature (time-limited). Projects also satisfy at least one of the following criteria:
- New application or vendor-hosted solution
- High volume request – a higher level than typical business operations
- Replace white box workstations at the law school (100 plus units)
- Windows 7 workstation replacements across campus
- Significant storage upgrade for the internal cloud (25-50 devices)
- Opening a new facility
- High Risk – mission-critical change; high/broad impact
- Work that requires high visibility by senior leadership for tracking progress, issues, risks, costs, etc.
- Origin: IT Strategic Governance
- New service or service offering related to an existing service
Once a project has been approved and funded, you may request that the project be entered into Planview for management and time entry. You will request approved and funded projects through the Requests tab within Planview.
Service Operations Activities: The day-to-day activities around management of an IT Service or System, as well as short-term enhancements to keep them relevant.
- Service Operations Activities will be managed in the Planview system. Within a Service Operations Activity in Planview, there will be broad, year-long tasks, such as Run/Fix tasks (e.g., service desk, monitoring, provisioning, etc.) and Enhance tasks. The naming of the tasks, as well as the task breakdown structure is at the discretion of the Resource Manager.
- Resource Managers will serve as Project Managers in Planview for their area’s Service Operations.
Each individual in the Planview system is assigned a primary “role” referring to the primary skills set the individual uses to perform work. Note that an individual’s role for capacity planning is not the same as the HR job title. Summarizing the roles across the IT organization allows for forecasting capacity and demand across portfolios of work.
|App Developer I & II|
|App Developer III & Lead|
|Business Alignment (BAL)|
|Change Manager||Specialist for organization/people change needed for project success|
|Communications Specialist||Marketing communications|
|Customer Relationship Manager|
|Info Security Specialist|
|IT Administrator||Administration Support; Procurement: Records Management; Financial Operations; Facilities Administration; HR Admin or other institutional administrative functions|
|Management||Includes managers, directors and above|
|Performance Support Analyst||Documentation and technical instructional design|
|Project Manager||Includes Program Management|
|QA Specialist||Includes testing specialists|
|Supervisor||Must have direct reports, but no management title|
|System Admin /Engineer|
Frequently Asked Questions
To request a new Planview report be created, enter a new ticket in ServiceNow with the Assignment group as “WUIT-PPMO”.
The following are the department standings for on-time timesheet submissions (Monday at noon) and approvals (Tuesday at noon) for this quarter:
WashU IT Overall: 90%
|Department||Percentage on Time this Quarter|
|Research Infrastructure Services||94%|
|End User Services||90%|
|Information Security Office (CISO)||85%|
|Enterprise Data Management||84%|
WashU IT Overall: 91%
|Department||Percentage on Time this Quarter|
|Research Infrastructure Services||97%|
|End User Services||88%|
|Information Security Office (CISO)||87%|
|Enterprise Data Management||72%|
|Department||Percentage on Time this Quarter||1/4/22||1/10/22||1/18/22|
|End User Services||90%||94%||90%||86%|
|Enterprise Data Management||84%||82%||77%||92%|
|Information Security Office (CISO)||85%||85%||77%||92%|
|Research Infrastructure Services||94%||95%||95%||91%|
|Department||Percentage on Time this Quarter||1/5/22||1/11/22||1/19/22|
|End User Services||88%||92%||83%||89%|
|Enterprise Data Management||72%||45%||100%||69%|
|Information Security Office (CISO)||87%||92%||85%||85%|
|Research Infrastructure Services||97%||100%||95%||95%|
If you have any questions regarding Planview, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.