Note: This article does not apply to Outlook running on the Apple Mac.
Symptom: When performing a simple search in the Outlook client, expected emails do not show up in the search results.
1. Outlook client was recently reset, Outlook client upgraded, or computer upgraded
Your computer will need time to perform a full-text index of your email. If you have quite a bit of email, it may take 24 hours before indexing is complete. In Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013, follow these steps to verify that indexing is complete:
- In Outlook, click in the Search box.
- Click the Search tab, click Search Tools, and then click Indexing Status.
- When the Indexing Status dialog appears, you should see the following:
Outlook has finished indexing all of your items.
0 items remaining to be indexed.
2. The full text index is corrupt and must be rebuilt.
Refer to the steps in Microsoft’s Fix search issues by rebuilding your Instant Search catalog article.
The information above and additional information can be found in the Troubleshooting Outlook search issues article.
Return to Email and Calendars.