Taking up the charge put forth by Chancellor Mark Wrighton following the University’s first Race & Ethnicity: A Day of Discovery and Dialogue forum, The Office of the CIO formed the WashU IT Diversity and Inclusion committee dedicated to creating a more diverse and inclusive IT community through awareness, dialogue, engagement and development opportunities.
The WashU IT Diversity and Inclusion Committee Charge
- Cultivate and foster a supportive community of inclusion within Washington University Information Technology
- Provide guidance for managers to recruit and retain a diverse workforce
- Provide a variety of collaboration and networking opportunities for WashU IT staff
- Coordinate professional development opportunities in support of the University’s Diversity and Inclusion initiatives.
- Champion & communicate the importance of diversity as it relates to the delivery of our services.
- Work to identify and eliminate technology-based barriers to diversity and inclusion in both the employment and academic context.
To date, the committee has worked with campus partner, SafeZones, to host LGBTQIA awareness and training workshops and with the Office of Human Resources for Diversity and Inclusion workshops . The committee also hosts monthly brown bag lunch sessions to encourage open dialogue diversity and inclusion topics. These sessions are open to the WashU community.