You have questions about Shared IT Services. We have answers.
• The IT governance structure works to improve the information technology environment at Washington University in St. Louis by developing a coordinated vision of IT that serves the university’s mission and strategic plan.
Creation of the OCIO:
• The Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) has been created to align all IT staff to a strategic vision of information technology that advances the Washington University mission, supports operations, serves the needs of all communities across the university and enables the university to continue to excel in its increasingly competitive landscape.
Rebalance the service delivery model to provide common IT Services from the larger shared services organization while refocusing IT in the schools and departments on IT delivery that truly differentiate a unit supporting its unique mission.
To support the rebalancing effort, new large scale services have been developed. As these services are implemented, a portion of current school and department IT staff will transition into Wash U IT – the shared services provider organization.
• Been unusually decentralized in comparison to our peers
• Delivered varied service levels
• Been fragmented and complex for customers to provision services
• Operated with significant overlap and redundancy
Additionally, all university IT staff will leverage universal service management tools and processes.
After clinical implementation is complete, the services will be implemented for current WashU IT end user computing customers followed by the remaining schools and departments in Washington University.
• Help/Service Desk
• Desk Side Support
• Server and storage engineering
• Direct Consultation with Faculty and Staff to specify hardware and desktop software
• System Refresh
• Network Administration
In general, the following functional area examples are expected to be retained within the schools and departments or other university organizations:
• Custom application development
• Research data and informatics management
At the same time, we are focused on protecting the things that we are doing well today such as providing support with staff who are familiar and highly knowledgeable.